With millions of visitors every year, the Van Gogh Museum is the 23rd most visited art museum in the world. It is a Dutch art museum dedicated to the works of Vincent Van Gogh and his contemporaries in the Museum Square in Amsterdam South.
The permanent collection here includes over 200 paintings by Vincent Van Gogh, 500 drawings and more than 750 letters. The museum also presents exhibitions on various subjects from 19th century art history.
So if you are a history buff and art is what excites you the most, head to this incredible place in Amsterdam. But before you plan your day, have a look on these amazing facts that will surely compel you to book your tickets now!!
1. Both the buildings of the museum have an open design that emphasizes geometrical forms and allows much natural light into the exhibition space.
2. Extreme popularity of the museum lead to hours of queue waiting to get the ticket, to solve the problem tickets to the Van Gogh Museum now are sold with a time slot.
3. The new entrance building of the Van Gogh Museum has opened on September 5, 2015 in Amsterdam. This building is the largest glass structure in the Netherlands.
4. Unlike other museums, Van Gogh offers you a party atmosphere every Friday, a DJ plays relaxing music, there are video projections, the bar is open and the guided tours are free.
5. Van Gogh’s paintings of Sunflowers are among his most famous. He painted a total of five large canvases with sunflowers in a vase, with three shades of yellow “and nothing else.”
6. There were a number of letters that Van Gogh wrote to his brother Theo and friends Paul Gauguin and Emile Bernard, are now displayed in the museum which documents his life.
7. Van Gogh prepared a room himself with simple furniture and with his own work on the wall. He also made paintings of the same. Bedroom in Arles is the title given to each of three similar paintings.
8. Most of Van Gogh’s paintings portray the simple life at the farm. He painted the bright colours and light of the countryside, the landscapes, wheat fields, cypresses, sunflowers. Also, he made many portraits and self-portraits.
9. Van Gogh created one of the most expensive paintings of history. His Portrait of Dr. Gachet which he painted in 1890 sold for $82.5 million in 1990.
10. Almond Blossoms is a group of several paintings made in 1888 and 1890 by Vincent van Gogh in Arles and Saint-Rémy, southern France of blossoming almond trees.
11. In 2002, two paintings were stolen from the museum, Congregation Leaving the Reformed Church in Nuenen and View of the Sea at Scheveningen.
12. During 10 years of his artist career, Van Gogh created about 2,100 artworks, including around 860 oil paintings. Many of his paintings were created in the last two years of his life.
A blessing for art lovers, Van Gogh Museum is a must visit place when in Amsterdam!!